Thursday, October 30, 2008

First Post

OK, no need to adjust your screens, what you see is true - I’ve decided to start writing a blog.

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while now and I’ve decided to finally go ahead with it. I’m quite surprised by my own actions for two reasons: 1. I doubt many people will read this and 2. I doubt I’ll be motivated enough to write with decent frequency.

I know that’s probably not the best advertisement to have in my first post but it is the truth. We shall see how things turn out. I plan to write about things that people will hopefully find interesting and you can let me know whether I’m doing so or not by leaving comments. I appreciate both negative and positive feedback.

The name for this blog came from a conversation I had during a nomikai with Japanese friends. My friends work in television and had produced a work some time ago, which they called "Global Mobile Report". The "Report" would feature short documentaries about different cultures in different countries. They suggested that my blog should be a similar style of report on Japan. One of them said I should call it, "Deepu Japan Repohto", to transcribe it as he said it to me. It sounded like a ridiculous title but it made me laugh and I decided to stick with it.

My friends think that my viewpoints on Japanese culture will be interesting but the problem is that in order to appeal to them, I will have to write in Japanese, and in order to keep my friends and family updated, it would be better if I write in English. I suspect my native tongue will win out the majority of the time but you may see a sprinkling of posts in Japanese. Do not be afraid.

Hope you enjoy it.

5 comments:

  1. It is quite interesting and you should write both in English and Japanese,although it might need big effort.
    Maybe put photos od thing you find interesting in Japan too, like Engrish;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andy this sounds like an awesome idea I'd love to chat about my views on Japan - title is so apt it sounds typically Japanese- don't know why but it just does!

    Em O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em

    One of the main motivations for the blog is my grandmother. At 89, she's started using a wheelchair and doesn't get out at all. I feel pretty guilty about being several thousand miles away and unable to help. She loves her newspapers so I decided to add to her reading collection by printing out these posts and sending them to her. Apparently, all of her visitors end up reading them and talking about them so there's a group of old ladies in Edinburgh getting the latest from the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a great idea - hey my granny is in Edinburgh too and about that age! Maybe they can hook up? She's in trinity - I think I'll do the same for her!

    ReplyDelete